Connect the Dots is moving! Transitions like this bring with them a mix of feelings and sensations. Even the staff at CTD are anxious, excited and nervous about the big move. We recognize this means a new path to work, new places to eat lunch, new rooms to settle in to and toys and supplies in different locations These are all crazy, amazing things that will ultimately allow us to serve a greater number of kiddos in need of our services with a wider variety of services and more room to work with them in. Still, for all humans, change is unsettling and stress provoking.
As I was doing what I do to calm my own nerves about the move (list making, taking a deep breath or three and a bit of perseverating), I realized that if this is difficult for me this may be very challenging for the clients we see who have major difficulties with transitions.
To try and make the move easier, the CTD staff will be working with clients we see over the next couple of weeks to help educate and prepare them for the transition. However, some clients will not be seen until we are in the new building. Here are a few ideas to help your child prepare for the transition to the new office space.
- Let them know that their favorite toy or piece of sensory equipment will still be at the new clinic.
- Put the date on the calendar that the child will be attending the new building with a star.
- Watch your email for updates about the new building. We will send pictures of the building in progress.
- Allow plenty of time before your first appointment to make sure you are on time with a little wiggle room for traffic or behavioral difficulties.
- As we get closer to moving we will provide directions to the new office. This will allow you to drive by the office and show your child the outside of the space.
- Assure your child that the therapy and therapists they know and love will be the same as it was before, just in a different location.
We are very excited about the new location, and I hope you all are excited too!